Re: [OM] Help... How do I stop zoom creep??? And what is Q-DOS

Subject: Re: [OM] Help... How do I stop zoom creep??? And what is Q-DOS
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 12:42:56 -0700
Zooms have all this complex stuff inside that moves when you operate the zoom mechanism. When hanging down, the weight of the moving partscan often move themselves. Poor design compensated by viscous grease, wear, temperture, changes in grease characteristics and/or migration of grease can affect the resistance to creep. Camera repairers can use different viscosities of grease when CLAing a zoom to minimumize creep. Micro-tools <www.micro-tools.com> carries a wide variety of greases for this purpose. Look for Nye grease. It's always a balance between too stiff to use easily and loose enough to creep. I have the old original version of the Vivitar S1 70-210/3.5 which doesn't creep, but is so stiff it is hard to zoom. The Tokina 150-500/5.6 has a very direct solution, a thumbscrew that adjusts the tension holding the zoom ring.

Moose

Bolty wrote:

Hi guys...
I haven't been able to post for awhile because I don't have a computer at
the moment. But I have a few moments now to let you know of my new toy. I
just picked up a Vivitar 70-210mm f2.8 constant aperture with macro to 2.5
life size. I picked it up for $30 AUS (Approx $18 US) without a warranty
from Cash Converters. It had some fungus on one of the elements, so after
some careful dismantling and cleaning and drying, I have put it backed
together and now have a very reasonable lens!
My question thou is that it has terrible zoom creep! Is there any way to
stop this or slow it down.
Also it has a switch that is marked Q-DOS (I think!) that flips down half a
blue and red filter inside and gives a bizarre look especially between the
focal lengths of 135-210. Does anyone know what this is for??
Thanks in advance
Adam