Re: [OM] My second 8x10 in my life

Subject: Re: [OM] My second 8x10 in my life
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 23:39:34 -0700
At 11:21 PM 4/8/2003 -0700, Moose wrote:
I agree with Wayne, strange - and distracting. I don't know anything about the 50/1.2, but I know this isn't what I'd call good bokeh. Maybe it should be decided that it was a different lens?

This is actually very interesting. At first, I thought Wayne is just giving me sh*t, so to speak :-), because when I look at the picture, while the bokeh is not as creamy smooth as the 90/2, it is quite decent. Since CH and Moose also chimed in, I then realize that I was looking at the 8x10 output from the Kodak 8500 Dye Sub printer, and not the web JPG!

Looking at the original scan, it does look harsher than what comes out of the 8500, but still better than the original web JPG. I used a Photoshop action to "webify" an image and I think in this case, the last step of slight sharpening may have sharpen the background a wee bit much. I deleted that step and upload a new version. Since I always use ICE when scanning, which makes the image a wee bit softer, I always use slight sharpening on the output stage.

http://www.dragonsgate.net/pub/richard/img007_new.jpg This still looks harsher than the original UN-webify version in Photoshop and much harsher than the 8500 output. I have no idea why.

here's the old one
http://www.dragonsgate.net/pub/richard/img007.jpg