Re: [OM] My second 8x10 in my life

Subject: Re: [OM] My second 8x10 in my life
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 10:20:53 +1200
Hi Richard et al,

I personally wouldn't be so quick to knock the Zuiko 40/2.

Mine is very sharp, but you have to take the precautions Gary mentions in
his lens test page about vibration - or other precautions in lieu of.

My TOPE self-portrait was taken with my Zuiko 40/2, and I think it looks
pretty sharp. And it was scanned from a 4x6 print that looked even sharper
than I could get on-screen..

Bokeh - some backgrounds yield just awful bokeh, and I first realised this
when we were invited to compare the bokeh of one of Tom Scales' shots with
one of Dave Dougherty's. And the problem turned out to be that in one shot
the background was so "busy", it had a pattern of such a multitude of
objects that nothing about it could ever be smooth - in or out of focus. If
Richard's shot had a background with few, and more gentle changes of
colour, contrast and image boundaries, I bet the bokeh would be heaps
better. I have also found with some of my lenses that if photographing foliage,
it is bad to allow little windows of sunlight or sky to peep through. The bokeh
of those is BAD.

Brian