Re: [OM] My second 8x10 in my life

Subject: Re: [OM] My second 8x10 in my life
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 16:23:25 -0600
At 03:13 PM 4/9/2003 -0700, Jim Brokaw wrote:
If either of you decides that your 40/2.0 is a crappy lens (technical term)
and are ready to throw it in the trash, I'll take it off your hands for a
paltry sum... <g>

I can't believe what they sell for... but I don't think that's driven by the
bokeh characteristics. Perhaps the 'bokeh' quality of a lens is in some way
related to its maximum aperture...? or the number of elements used for
correction...? I've read some comments that the best bokeh comes from lenses
of few elements and relatively slower maximum apertures e.g. 50/3.5 CV
Heilar, Leica 50/2.0 Summicron, 75/3.5 Rollei Xenotar (Rolleiflex lens).

Jim:

I always thought that the most pleasing bokeh came from lenses with more leaves for the aperture, creating a more "circular" stop-down. 8 or 9 leaves seem to be quite good, six leaves not nearly so good. I'm not sure that number of lens elements has anything to do with good (or bad) bokeh.

Garth