Re: [OM] Dropping things, or never say never

Subject: Re: [OM] Dropping things, or never say never
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 00:24:54 -0700
You're describing the standard method for volume electronic PCB assembly
anymore. The bare printed-circuit board is treated with a 'solder resist' in
all areas except where the mounting points of the electronic components are.
The board stuffing machine usually glues the components to the circuit board
in the right locations, with their contacts aligned with the mounting points
on the circuit board. Then a metal-mesh conveyor belt draws the circuit
board loaded with components through a molten-solder bath. The solder only
sticks to the mounting point locations and the component connectors (pads or
wires)... the boards are in the bath for only a few seconds. Then they go to
a wash, which is often now a hot water spray bath, then a forced hot air
blow-dry. Its a shame Freon isn't still around, it worked really well for
this kind of cleaning (and for degreasing camera apertures and leaf shutters
as well). Ozone, we don't need no stinkin' ozone! Nice tan you've got
there... <g>
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...

The things I've learned while purchasing electronic components, circuit
board assemblys and such...