[OM] Bokeh & macro lenses as portrait lenses

Subject: [OM] Bokeh & macro lenses as portrait lenses
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:35:04 +0800
My friend thinks that macro lenses i.e. 90mm macro lenses don't make as good of a portrait lens because the bokeh for more macro lenses are uglier. I don't know where he gets this from, but I do think the bokeh from my 90mm f2.5 Tokina is not as nice as some of the shots I've seen from the OM 90mmf2. The Tokina is clearly sharper, but the OM does have much nicer bokeh..

I don't have a macro and non-macro of same or similar length, and so I'd love to hear one of you who does have similar length lenses; does a macro lens have uglier bokeh when used as a portrait lens?

Albert