Re: [OM] My second 8x10 in my life

Subject: Re: [OM] My second 8x10 in my life
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:05:24 -0700
All Dof calculations are based on an assumption about what will appear fuzzy to a viewer. That,in turn depends on the magnification of the image and the distance at which it is viewed. If you place the 4x6 and a 20x30 print of the same image at different distances from the eye so that they are of the same apparent size, they will both have the same DOF as viewed. Put a 4x6 and an 8x12 at the same distance from the eye and what appears sharp on the smaller print may appear unsharp in the larger print. The DOF tables published with lenses and the DOF markings on them have to make some assumptions about what will be sharp enough for the average user.

An image does not suddenly go from sharp to unsharp at some magic distance from the focal plane. Unsharpness or 'out of focus' increases continuously with distance from the focal plane.Thus an assumption is made about the point in this continuous process where the average eye looking at a certain size image at a certain viewing distance will perceive an image to be out of focus. The allowable CoC diameter is then derived from this kind of subjective data and all kinds of wonderful calculations are made and tables published. All very well and wonderfully useful to the practical photographer. For the thoughtful photographer involved in all aspects of the dance with light and technology that creates the final image, it is useful to remember this is just a guideline that doesn't necessarily work for the particular purpose at hand.

DOF can even be different for different viewers. A simple example: My right eye, while quite nearsighted, has a visual acuity (resolving power) well above average. When corrected with glasses, my vision in that eye is about 20/7 (I can easily read the 20/10 line and make out some of the 20/5 line.) That is, I can resolve detail at 20 feet that the average eye cannot resolve without being within seven or eight feet of the subject. Thus I may look at your prize flower picture at the same distance you do and say it would be just perfect if the detail in the stamens projecting forward were actually in focus (Not that I would say it that way!). My acceptable CoC diameter may be different than someone else's.

There is no standard for DOF, so published DOF tables na lens markings from different manufacturers may be different for lenses that have the same imaging characteristics. DOF tables from the same manufacturer for lenses of the same focal length and speed in professional and amateur lines may have different DOF tables on the assumption that the pro requires higher standards of sharpness.

Working only in small output format, as you have discovered, does not prepare one very well for larger output format.

Moose

Albert wrote:

I went through in detail over my 8x10.  First, this is what I found out:

3 subjects, my 3 cousins, two females on each side, the taller male in the middle. I took the picture with them lined up about 45 degrees slant, not parallel to me. OK, I focused on the wrong person, I focused on the rear person, and so the rear and the middle were sharp, but the front was a bit blurry... My "sharp" areas were very sharp, but what looked like not so sharp areas were actually just that, out of focus. Also, I always thought I had good selection of DoF, but I guess not.. everything looked sharp and in focus at 4x6, but not so at 8x10... and it's not the developers fault.. The picture is well developed.. Hmm.. I might have to print more 8x10's, this one has taught me a lot.