Re: [OM] [OT] Tamron 2x

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Tamron 2x
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 15:32:52 -0700
There are lots of Tamron 2x TCs around. I assume you are only interested in the SP models that attach directly to the adaptall lenses and then take an adaptall mount on the back. There are 2 sp versions that I know of, with similar optical formulas. The 200F is 56.7 mm long and a iny bit wider and heavier than the 01F, which is 42.5 mm long. The instruction manual I have covers all 3 models and has a table of 'Specifications of Tamron Lenses Combined with the Teleconverter'. This table shows specs for the 01F combined with most of the lenses they manufactured at the time. For about half of the lenses, it shows no specs for the lens plus 200F. It gives no explanation, but the clear implication is that they do not recommend use of the 200F with these lenses. Thre are also many lenses not shown with the 1.4x (140F) adapter. The list doesn't include the 80-200/2.8 because it wasn't out yet when the list was published (not listed in the list of all Tamron in the booklet), so I don't know what they would say about it.

I have the 01F, but have only really used it with the 90/2.5, with which it works very well. I'm sure the 01F would work well with the 80-200/2.8, but haven't tried it. If I want something in that range, I tend to use the Tokina 150-500/5/6, same speed, more coverage and no teleconverter.

Moose

gries wrote:

I have been happily using the 1.4x Tamron TC with my 80-200/2.8, but has
anyone had any experience with the 2x?  are there different versions that I
should be aware of?