Re: [OM] [Slightly OT] Alien Bees Lights

Subject: Re: [OM] [Slightly OT] Alien Bees Lights
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 23:13:14 -0700
At 01:40 AM 4/12/2003 -0400, John wrote:
Slightly OT from Olympus gear . . .

Has anyone on the list used Alien Bees monolights?
If so, how would you rate them?
Any problems with reliability or durability?

Alien Bees was one of the choices when I was getting the Studio lights. I heard many good things about them. They are from the same company that make White Lightning and the prez is supposedly an older timer in the business. In the end, I bought a package Profoto deal (2 lights, 600 W power, 2 stands and umbrella), that aren't too much more expensive. Of course the Profoto are regular strobes whereas the Alien Bees are monolights.

Anycase, my understanding is that if you don't mind the funky colors, they do work very well.