Re: [OM] Workflow in digital darkroom

Subject: Re: [OM] Workflow in digital darkroom
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 15:41:13 -0700
Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu wrote:

<snip>
Since I have a modest computer, it takes a long time to edit on full-sized
images in Photoshop7.

All the stuff you propose seems awfully complex and time consuming. I had the same problem with image editing in Photoshop 5LE, 6 and 7, just stone slow. I don't know what your time is worth, but I decided what my sanity was worth and got a new computer, fast, with a huge hard drive and 1Gb of memory. The difference is simply stunning. Photoshop is now an interactive pleasure to use.

<snip>
Will a level-changing macro recorded "against" an 8-bit, small file work
perfectly if I run it on a 12-bit, high-res images?

I don't know about others, but I gave up on scanning output higher than 8 bit /channel. I think my scanner does 12bit in hardware, which comes out at 16bit, making for huge files. Then in Photoshop there is very little that can be done without converting to 8bit. I think about all you can do is adjust levels? I see a histogram before I scan anyway, so I don't need that. Otherwise, I just don't see any difference in the results, on screen or printed. I have Vuescan set to scan at 16bit (which is really less than that in the hardware) and output at 24bit

My biggest problem right now is it takes so long to make selections and burn
down those areas, or blur them.  I want to do this
experimentation on small "work prints", then play everything back on the big
file.  Is that possible?

What I said above about an adequate computer for the task makes all this unnecessary.<snip>

Example?  Here's the Before/After: http://tinyurl.com/9dsd

This link doesn't work for me. I end up here: "http://www.hatstand.org/gallery/view_photo.php?id=Before_and_After_copy";, with this error message: "Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in classes/User.php on line 90"

Moose