A final word on the formatting! Re: [OM] as a digest user - text vs html

Subject: A final word on the formatting! Re: [OM] as a digest user - text vs html
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:47:43 +0200
On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 19:11:18 +1000
"Alan Wayman" <abw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<SNIP>

> And finally, what about some statistics? How many digest
> subscribers are there? What is the membership of the list, and how
> many actually contribute?

To answer your question: we average with about 250 subscribers on the
"individual mails" list, 250 subscribers on the "digest" list. There
are probably a lot of people who are "dublets", and a lot of people
who are "lurkers".

The following is not specifically to Alan, it just so happens that
his post was the last in my mailfolder on this topic.

To answer and close the whole thread: for the benefit of everyone,
please send mails in plain-text only to the list. In the words of Jon
Postel: "be conservative in what you send, be liberal in what you
receive." (RFC 793, but it applies here also). Which, then, also
implies that we should stop debating which of "html-mail-programs are
stupid" and "non-html-mail-programs are acane and obsoleeded" is true
- since both are, and that's that.

So...clear plain text is what will make the fewest problems for
everyone.

Now...I am in an excellent mood. I've managed to dig up two of the
lens-cases I was looking for, even for two or my quite used lenses.
Which is good, since I no longer need to use my clean socks for
protecting them when travelling (something which thus far has created
logistics problems on the return-trips, where clean socks usually are
in short supply.....and dirty socks and lenses don't match *gg*).

--thomas