Re: [OM] Best way to clean OM-1N mirror

Subject: Re: [OM] Best way to clean OM-1N mirror
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:59:23 -0700
I wouldn't suggest ever 'scrubbing' on a mirror. In my experience, even
Windex on a Q-tip can cause scratches. The mirror coating is *that*
delicate! If you're going to clean a mirror, flood it with fluid (I use 91%
isopropanol alcohol) using a wadded up piece of plain white toilet tissue.
Then using another wadded up piece of dry toilet tissue, gently (*gently!*)
swab up the liquid.

This will leave a lot of little tissue fibres in the mirror area. Gently
(*gently!*) blow these out with short puffs of canned air or from a squeeze
blower. That's it. No scrubbing, contact with Q-tip, or anything else. Q-tip
cotton fibres can be quite abrasive, and this will wear the mirror coating
right through in a couple swipes. Ask me how I know... :-(

Remember, 'do-it-yourself camera' fixing is a lot like 'do it yourself
lawyering' or 'do it yourself doctoring', you want to be sure you don't have
a fool for a client. I would start on something a lot less desirable than
any OM body...
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...