Re: [OM] Light Seal question

Subject: Re: [OM] Light Seal question
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:11:13 -0700
Light seals are a possibility, usually if they are shot they will be gummy
but sometimes they go dry instead of sticky, then they will be crumbly.
Either way you will see residue inside the camera or stuck to the edges of
the back.

My first thought when reading your post was that somehow the focus was off
between the actual film and the viewfinder screen. So when you -thought- you
were accurately focused on the viewfinder screen, the image formed on the
film was really not in focus.

You can check this if you have a piece of ground glass or an extra old
viewfinder screen. Mount the screen or ground glass on the film rails
(inside the camera back, the two silver strips closest to the square opening
of the shutter mechanism. I use masking tape to hold the screen in place. It
doesn't have to fit exactly, but it should be flat and solid against only
those two silver stripes closest to the square opening. If using a ground
glass, point the ground side towards the lens. If using a viewfinder screen,
point the textured side to the lens. These screens are delicate, so don't
use a perfect new one for this, it may get marred and the marks will be
visible in the viewfinder if you use it in a camera later.

Set the camera shutter to "B", and mount the camera on a tripod. Use a cable
release. First focus the lens through the viewfinder accurately. Now open
the shutter and lock it open. Use a telephoto lens for less depth of field,
but don't use a really long slow one... a 100/2.0 or 135/2.8 is probably
ideal. Using a magnifier or loupe, check the image on the screen or ground
glass on the film rails (it will be upside down...) If that is not in focus,
then there is a mis-alignment somewhere.

While this could be something fairly simple, it would suggest that the
camera is due for a CLA, where this can get fixed along with everything else
to bring the camera back to 100%. The OM-2n is capable of pictures as sharp
as any camera, there is something wrong with yours but probably not foam
seals.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...