Re: [OM] Best way to clean OM-1N mirror

Subject: Re: [OM] Best way to clean OM-1N mirror
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 17:09:07 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Jim Brokaw wrote:

> I wouldn't suggest ever 'scrubbing' on a mirror. In my experience, even
> Windex on a Q-tip can cause scratches. The mirror coating is *that*
> delicate!

The mirror in an OM-1/2 isn't that sensitive.  The OM-3/4/2S mirror is a
bit more delicate, but even it can still take quite a bit of abuse.  The
major cause of scratches when cleaning isn't the material you're using
to clean with, but the debris that gets trapped under it.  If the surface
is really dirty, let it soak a bit and then use something like a Q-tip
to wipe it clean while rotating the Q-tip.  That ensures a clean surface
is always present when wiping.  Stop using the Q-tip after one revolution
and use another one.  You'll go through a lot of them (I buy them by the
1000's :-), but your mirror probably won't get scratched.  I find 99%
isopropyl alcohol gets the debris off the mirror, and then I follow up
with a wipe with acetone to give it that sparkling look.
                                        -mark