[OM] on civility

Subject: [OM] on civility
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:14:42 -0700
>From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>One is always surprised by flames and name calling to a simple
>expression of an alternative view point.

"But mama, Windsor started it!" :-)

I did not write any flames. I did not call you any names. Go ahead -- re-read
it, I did.

But if "perception is reality," please permit the possibility that some may
feel YOU were "flaming and naming" before I got involved!

It is not unusual, when one has convictions in one's beliefs, to express those
beliefs in a manner that insults the intelligence or capabilities of others. I
do it myself sometimes, and I apologize in advance for the next time! :-)

Before one presses "Send," it can be useful to put on someone else's shoes,
re-read what one has written, and see if what seems at first to be merely a
"simple expression of an alternative view point" does not in fact come across
as condescending and arrogant.

For example, replace "digest readers" with "black people" in your posting. You
would then be close to claiming that equal rights are a "courtesy to black
people" and that "black people cannot be bothered" to conform to your point of
view, and that "black people would prefer others" to cater to them, and then by
gosh, they get uppity and "the black people advertise the fact" that they are
dissatisfied with the status quo!

I don't think you are a bad person, and I don't mean to call you names. But
what you wrote is condescending to digest users, and arrogant in your
assumption that you know the One True Way of reading mail.

I hope you will not take offense, and will take this as constructive criticism
for avoiding perceived "flaming and naming" -- both from you, and others -- in
the future.
--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>