[OM] Ball Heads

Subject: [OM] Ball Heads
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 19:48:35 -0600
I just received the May issue of Outdoor Photography and it contains an
article on the subject of ball heads. Those who were recently discussing
those rascals may find it interesting. There is no attempt at rating, just a
discussion of what is available. A couple of things stood out for me. One is
the nickname "dumphead" assigned to ballheads by those who dislike them
because they can let the camera and lens tip if not tightened properly. The
other is the fact that the capability of the ballhead controls with the
camera equipment being used is an important consideration. I've had control
levers get tangled with motor drive parts and other things. That can cost
you the ability to make a time-sensitive photograph.

/jim