Re: [OM] Ball Heads

Subject: Re: [OM] Ball Heads
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 05:24:02 -0800

I just received the May issue of Outdoor Photography and it contains an
article on the subject of ball heads. Those who were recently discussing
those rascals may find it interesting. There is no attempt at rating, just a
discussion of what is available. A couple of things stood out for me. One is
the nickname "dumphead" assigned to ballheads by those who dislike them
because they can let the camera and lens tip if not tightened properly. The
other is the fact that the capability of the ballhead controls with the
camera equipment being used is an important consideration. I've had control
levers get tangled with motor drive parts and other things. That can cost
you the ability to make a time-sensitive photograph.

/jim-

Your full-blown ballhead design will incorporate three knobs: one to pan the entire assembly atop the tripod, another for the ball's friction (this function holds the camera body/lens in place at a friction point where the operator can shift position of the gear without the latter moving on its own), the last to absolutely lockout the second function. These knobs should be covered with rubber or some similar non-slip material so that they are comfortable and easy to operate, and positioned on the assembly so one has ready access with his fingers. The knobs on my Gitzo G 1377 M are so designed--they interfere with nothing, allow my hands and fingers free access.

You've had ballhead knobs get tangled with motor-drive parts? I'd like to hear how that might be possible. (I can't imagine ballhead knobs coming in contact with any portion of one's gear other than a camera strap, and in this case it strikes me the more obtrusive control arms on a pan/tilt head would present a more worrying series of obstacles--though hardly daunting in their own right.)

As for the capability of ballheads: yes, you wouldn't want to place too much weight atop any given assembly, and for this reason ballheads are rated for working loads. Gitzo, for example, sells a honey of a ballhead (0077) that would be perfect for, say, a backpacker where his carrying load is a real consideration (Gitzo has changed the design of this unit--it now sports a pronounced lever whereas before the friction control was worked with a smallish knob); however, this ballhead would not be suited for anything other than _level_ work if much weight is involved (the head is rated at about 2 pounds). On the other hand, the relatively massive Arca Swiss B1 head could be successfully employed in just about any situation even by MF photographers, with a correspondingly greater sacrifice paid in terms of bulk and weight. And so on.

A writer who would describe ballheads as "dumpheads" is irresponsible. My suggestion would be to stay away from the work of these kinds of people--they usually have strange agendas and are often none too sharp. Seek better-balanced opinion.

Listen. A ballhead is simply a tool with a specific purpose. Properly designed and intelligently used it will serve its intended purpose well.

Tris