Re: [OM] Ball Heads

Subject: Re: [OM] Ball Heads
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 12:56:33 -0700
I also have a Hakuba CF - as my 'middle' tripod. I do most of my research and buying on the web, but for a tripod head with the perfect balance of weight, price, useablilty, etc., I went browsing in person. I ended up with a Velbon PH-253 and have been very happy with it. One of my tests was whether the head could hold an OM body with my Tokina 150-500/5.6, a 4.9 lb. (2230g) lens that is just over a foot long. This was certainly the upper limit for the Velbon, but it did hold it securely. Lesser lenses like the Tamron 80-200/2.8 and 60-300/3.6-5.4 are quite secure and easy to use on it. Easily holds OM, winder and 200/4, Gary The next size up Velbon is also very nice, but more weight and money. The next size down is the head that comes with the Velbon 343 tripod (which is my 'light' tripod), is a bit light for the purpose and is the kind where you have to release the ball and spin it to attach it to a camera. The 253 has a nice convienient thumbwheel for camera attachment.

A lot of small ball heads seem about the same, but some simply work better than others. I particularly remember the Bogens as big/heavy, sturdy, cheap and rough in action. The lever that locked azimuth on one would lock up unbelieveably tight with modest pressure on the big lever, then was almost impossible to release. The others sort of blur together by now, but the Velbon stood out for its modest size, light weight and smooth action (and reasonable price). It is a magnesium, single knob, clamshell design, but is designed/finished so that it is rather easy to set the tension of the one control so the camera/lens can be moved, then stay in place.

I'm not suggesting this for heavy duty use, but as a head to try out for a light weight kit. If I ever put a ball head on my Bogen 3236 legs it'll probably be an AS, Arcratech (sp?) or some such serious head, but something like that would defeat the whole purpose of the very light CF tripod.

Moose

Gary L. Edwards wrote:

I don't really care for ball heads, but I use one on my travel 'pod (the
smallest Bogen head on an Hakuba CF).  Only put up with it because it is the
lightest head I've found. Not terribly secure, but I usually travel with
nothing larger than a 200/5 Zuiko, and the Bogen ball can just handle that
and a winderless-OM.