Re: [OM] Avoiding X-Ray Machines & Need U.K. Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Avoiding X-Ray Machines & Need U.K. Advice
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 18:22:05 +0100
Sometimes it seems like you have to run an obstacle course. Avoiding x-rays in the airport and in the mail and then avoiding processors who screw up your film. The professional labs in Houston charge between $7.50 and $7.75 per 36 exposure roll to process and mount your slides with a 2 to 3 hour turn around. I find that to be very reasonable pricing and service. Although it may all be the same, my level of comfort with a professional lab is greater as my perception is that probably watch their chemistry and processing closer than do the consumer labs. This may be an illusion, however, to the degree I believe it, I guess it is my reality. And yes, the pro-labs I use have from time to time screwed some stuff up. I'm assuming Snappy Snaps is like one of our One Hour Photo places here in the US. Bill Barber

Well, Snappy Snaps has a lurid yellow colour scheme and a cheesy consumer sort of name but I think they're a pretty respectable photo outfit actually. I've always been extremely happy with what I've got done with them, and they certainly seem to know their stuff when I've chatted about what I wanted doing.

Don't know much about dedicated professional labs but I do know that Joe's Basement was a well known one which went bust recently, so I'm not sure if there's that much choice for the discerning photographer these days.

Roger