Re: [OM] damaged zoom?

Subject: Re: [OM] damaged zoom?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 02:14:43 -0700
Yes, it differs from my close to perfect example. Zoom ring should move smoothly from 35-70 with very little lash as you change direction, i.e., you shouldn't notice it unless you carefully look for it. Same thing with the movement of the front, maybe .5 mm movement on mine. From my reading of the list, it seems likely that the problem may be nothing more than loose set screws that attach the ring to the underlying mechanism.

Moose

james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

<>
The first point is that the zoom ring stops about 2 or 3mm before the 70 mark reaches the white indicator line. Secondly, moving the zoom ring towards the 50 mark starts to push the front elements out, but if I reverse the direction back towards 70 there's about 2mm of movement of the ring before the front elements start to move back in, as if there is some free play in the mechanism before it starts to do anything. Finally, with the lens at its most compact (focus infinity, zoom 70) I can move the front element in and out by about 1mm by holding the lens cap and applying gentle pressure. <>