[OM] failure to transport

Subject: [OM] failure to transport
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 09:04:27 -0500
"Are you sure film tip isn't slipping out of the take-up spool?"
I, like Capt. Kirk, and some members of this group, have had this problem,
and being the professional he is, Dr. Hermanson has noted the situation. It
is indeed possible for the film tip to disengage from the takeup spool.
Since noting this problem (I don't even remember if it was with the OM's or
before that with the Nikon F's), I changed my loading proceedure, and all is
well.

I was engaging the bottom of the trimmed end of the tip and placing the very
end in the slot. I would then close the back, and shoot, sometimes on film,
sometimes on part film and part pressure plate. I thought I was being
clever, in doing this I gained an extra shot per roll (remember, my father
was an engineer. These sorts of trivial cost saving measures are typical of
engineers.)

I doubt I gained as many extra frames I lost to disengaged film tips. Once I
determined the cause of the problem, I always wind enough film on the spool
so that both sprockets are engaged, and the problem is solved. Hasn't
happened since!

Of course, I now only get 37 shots per roll.

Bill Pearce