[OM] Book Report, Mastering Digital Printing, by Harald Johnson

Subject: [OM] Book Report, Mastering Digital Printing, by Harald Johnson
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 13:23:16 -0700
Mike first recommended this book, then Jan, who has a vested interest, since he is in it both in word and image.

I just finished my first reading and using some of the ideas for scanning and printing. This is a first rate book. It covers just about everything I can recall being discussed on the list about color management, papers and inks, including 3rd. party and external ink systems. print longevity, printer technology, work flow and much more. The difference is that each subject is presented in much more breadth and depth than one can possibly get reading posts and the excellent illustrations (it is a book about printing, after all) are a great help.

When reading a dozen or so of the posts last night and this morning, my first thought was "They should read chaper xx of this book!" Just a few random examples from recent posts:

- Ink heads and clogging in inkjets. There have been lots of posts about this, but none has pointed out that Epson heads are not user replaceable, Canon heads are, and other brands generally have the heads built into the ink carts, so they are automatically replaced.

- Color spaces. Somebody mentioned switching to sRBG to enliven images as a 'trick' he got someplace. The chapter on color management finally got my understanding of color spaces clear so I could understand why this would work for web images but is a bad idea for images to be printed. It also demystified some details about how this works in Photoshop.

- Print longevity. The really through discussion is frustrating in a way, because it doesn't resolve the question once and for all, but illuminating and useful in showing why the question is essentially unresolveable and what to do about it.

- Paper. The discussion of paper construction and surfaces and their interaction with different inks and the effect of all tha on appearance and longevity is just excellent.

These are just things that popped into what passes for my mind, there is much more. This book is going to improve my printing, make my digital darkroom life easier and save me money.

Moose