Re: [OM] Aaaargh - I did it...

Subject: Re: [OM] Aaaargh - I did it...
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 11:14:51 +1200
Hi folks,

Of course, I've lost exposures / rolls through this too.

What I do now, is

Insert  film leader into take-up spool. I have noted the learned comments on
the need to not poke the leader completely through the spool. I usually DO
poke it right through and have never had the kind of bad consequence that
Clint and John have warned about. So - I have noted and wondered what is
different between me and their experience.

I have OM1, OM10, OM2, OM4Ti bodies.

Then, using the tip of a finger on an end of the take-up spool, I rotate the
spool until I can see that sprocket holes at both sides of the film are
engaged. After all, it is driven by a friction clutch so no problem. If they
don't
do it willingly, I use fingertip again to ensure proper engagement. Sometimes
(usually) due to the uneven pull from the half-width leader it starts crooked.
As soon as it's at the 2nd hole, I move the cassette to the other end, and
press the re-wind axle fully home.

Check the sprocket teeth are still doing their job, and gently close the back.

Slightly tension the rewind knob, set exposure to manual, watch the re-wind
knob as I wind on the first frame, and make the first exposure.

If, at this point the re-wind knob didn't rotate as expected, I'd rewind a
little
and open the back to see that the problem is.

This way I don't lose a full frame - the first frame done this way is usually
at
least partly fogged - but on the 36 roll I will usually get 38 shots.

Brian