Re: WAS [OM] lost camera NOW editing web pages

Subject: Re: WAS [OM] lost camera NOW editing web pages
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 12:32:24 -0600
At 11:02 AM 4/19/2003 -0700, Wayne Shumaker wrote:

><snip>
>>So, what do people use to edit their web pages with?
><snip>

A combination of UltraEdit 9.1x, Hot Dog Professional 6.6 and (my newest) CoffeeCup HTML Editor 9.5. All three are quite competent, although the latter two are more like IDEs (integrated development environments) for HTML etc. None of them produce anything else but lean, mean, browsin' machine HTML.

Hot Dog is quite powerful, and I'm otherwise very fond of it, but it suffers from an annoying bug that no one at Sausage Software seems to be able to hunt down and stomp with extreme prejudice, i.e., the dreaded "text insertion freeze-up." It seems to occur almost randomly, and at its worst can blow away an editing session, losing all your changes. Their FAQ blames this on wonky video drivers, but I've used Hot Dog on at least a dozen different PCs with a variety of video cards, and this behaviour has raised its ugly head on every PC, so I'm thinkin' they're just not trying hard enough.

My most recent acquisition is the CoffeeCup editor. It's much like Hot Dog but without the above-mentioned bug, and has a library of Javascript, DHTML and other script languages snippets that can be inserted into your code to do various and sundry things. (You still need a *basic* understanding of the script languages, though -- it's not for a total newbie.) It's also quite a bit cheaper than Hot Dog Pro, and you get free updates for life (unlike either of the other two programs). UltraEdit has also become my complete replacement for Notepad/Wordpad.

Their Web locations:

     UltraEdit:  http://www.ultraedit.com

     Hot Dog Pro:  http://www.sausage.com

     CoffeeCup HTML:  http://www.coffeecup.com/

These are all just for PCs, however -- I have no experience with Apple-compatible software for HTML editing. Sorry.

Garth