Re: [OM] Forced Poverty

Subject: Re: [OM] Forced Poverty
From: chris@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 10:54:51 -0600
On 20 Apr 2003 at 11:44, petertje@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I hope you enjoy yourself with the other opportunity.

A quick suggestion to ALL on the list about employment, money, and
life in general....

No matter WHAT you do to put food on the table, do what gives you
pleasure, fulfillment, and a sense of accomplishment.  Life is too
damned short to work at something that you hate to get up and go to
in the morning!  If that job with the six-digit salary is driving you nuts
and causing you to kick (or yell at) the dog, cat, kids, or significant
other when you get home, maybe you should seriously think about
whether it's really "worth" it.

In my career, I've made six-digits per year and there's also been
times when I've barely made five digits.  Two years ago, I make
$90K (CDN$) while this year I'll be lucky to hit $20K.

Seems no matter WHAT I've earned at work, I've managed to put
*some* sort of roof over my head and food in my mouth.  The only
difference between the two ends of the salary scale seems to be
hamburger v.s. steak, new car v.s. rust-bucket, and the quantity
and/or quality of the "things" I can have at a particular income.

Frankly, given the choice of hating every minute I spend at work or
eating hamburger, driving an old rust-bucket, and having fewer fancy
"things," I'll take the hamburger/rust-bucket route!

In short, maybe a period of "forced poverty" can be a GOOD thing?
Maybe it gives one a chance to reflect on one's life, sort out one's
priorities?  Maybe it even gives one a chance to start off in a new
direction?  Pardon the trite sayings, but life is what you make of it,
and if life serves you lemons maybe you should be making
lemonade!  :-)

>From the guy who's going full-time RV'ing in the not too distant
future...

Regards,

Chris

P.S.  Sometime in the next few weeks I'll post an update to how Cori
and I are progressing with our plan to hit the road.  For now, the one-
word summary is....  GREAT!