RE: [OM] 300/4.5 $350 in Australia

Subject: RE: [OM] 300/4.5 $350 in Australia
From: "M. Sparks" <mms@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:32:10 -0400 (EDT)
> Not exactly transparent auctioneering - count me out.

I'm with Tom Scales on this one.  You may not like sniping, but it's
exactly how a live auction is run.  The way I see it, if you're serious
about any item, you either have to be present at the close of the auction,
or pay someone else to be there for you, via eSnipe or some other service.

If I go to a live auction, bid $50 on a chair, and then walk out for a
coffee before the gavel falls, I have no right to complain when I return
and find the chair sold to someone else for $75.

Also, a smart buyer can never feel confident at an auction close to
his/her maximum bid.  If I bid $100 on a mint OM-1, and go to bed with the
bidding at $90, then I shouldn't be disappointed when I find it long gone
the next morning.

I also disagree that a seller who bans sniping will maximize the selling
price.  It may force an earlier run-up in the price, but it also has the
effect of making the potential bidder pool smaller . . . and bidders who
use sniping services tend to be among the more serious buyers.

Morgan