Re: [OM] Forced Poverty

Subject: Re: [OM] Forced Poverty
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 11:46:47 EDT
In a message dated 4/21/2003 8:29:35 AM Central Standard Time,
agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> The interesting thing about top-dog jobs is that they don't get
> you closer to your "goals in life" but farther away as you
> become slaves to a lifestyle and get deeper in debt.
>
> I would like a simpler life, but I don't want to starve getting
> it.

The trick, IMHO, is to strive for balance.  We trade our time (essential,
nonrefundable segments of our life) for money.  As we do that, it is
important that we make sure there is something in it for us besides the
money.  As we develop an understanding of money, we tend to control it rather
than have our money control us.  Without an understanding of money, one is
always a slave to it, regardless of their degree of wealth.

I am no different from the rest of world.  My first JOB was selling Spudnuts
(a donut made with potato flour) door to door at age 8.  Made 5 cents a
half-dozen.  For the past 50 years, since that time, I have had some type of
gainful employment or business.  When I hire a new person, I always tell them
their job is important and that there are at least two other things which
should be more important and if they aren't then the job probably won't work
out.  The two are family and spiritual life.  If someone has those taken care
of and has some balance in their life, they will probably be a good employee.

Another ingredient which I feel is important is continuos growth in all areas
of ones life.  An example might be our photography.  If our interests and
abilities in that area has not grown, in the last year or so, I would bet our
relationships and skills at work has stagnated also.

And so folks that is my 2 cents worth and that is how I see it from this soap
box.  Bill Barber