Re: [OM] Humidity reduction in Oly cabinet

Subject: Re: [OM] Humidity reduction in Oly cabinet
From: "tOM Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 18:20:48 -0400
But where does the light go and what happens to it?
In a cabinet, it shines on the walls, heating them up.
No energy is lost unless you open the door.

If you put light bulbs in series, the resistance is increased, and the
voltage and therefore the wattage is reduced. Four four-watt bulbs will
produce one watt. In parallel, they add up - 16 watts.

In series, using fewer volts, the bulbs will last much longer.

You don't need a lot of heat, Even a few degrees over ambient reduces the
humidity.

Fluorescent bulbs, white walls, and wire shelves also will produce UV to
help kill mold and bacteria, and little heat to cause fires, and provide
some illumination!. A small corded fluorescent with the right wattage is
cheap and effective, if a little fragile, placed at the bottom of the
cabinet so that convection will circulate the dehumidified air.

tOM

On Monday, April 21, 2003 at 17:38
Mickey Trageser <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Do light bulbs put out the same BTUs watt for watt as a heating element? I
> would expect the light bulbs to be less efficient heat producers, since they
> 'waste' so much energy on visible light. -Mickey ----- Original Message
> ----- From: "Chuck Norcutt" <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx> To: "Olympus mail list"
> <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Mickey Trageser" <vze3m2s8@xxxxxxxxxxx> Sent:
> Monday, April 21, 2003 8:56 AM Subject: Re: [OM] Humidity reduction in Oly
> cabinet
>

> > Mickey posted this link for the Golden Rod Dehumidifier products.
> > <http://www.goldenroddehumidifiers.com/pages/other-pages/specs.html>
> >
> > I think that by examining the specs on this page (wattage vs cabinet
> > size protected) you can get an idea of what's needed if you want to do
> > this using light bulbs as the heat source.  Note that the largest Golden
> > Rod consumes only 25 watts.  I've been thinking of doing this myself using
> > a series of 4 watt night light bulbs for even heat distribution.

---------
2003 Jun 28-30 in
Ottawa:http://www.CanadianCameraConference.ca
tOM Trottier,   ICQ:57647974    http://abacurial.com
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115 N45.412 W75.714
"The moment one gives close attention to anything,
even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious,
awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself --
Henry Miller, 1891-1980