Re: [OM] Cleaning film speed dial?

Subject: Re: [OM] Cleaning film speed dial?
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 19:32:22 -0500
Daniel Mitchell wrote:

>  My OM2S has a weird tendency to _sometimes_ over-read a lot....

Quite common on the OM-2s.  Moving the ASA knob back and forth once in a while
is fine but it should have been corrected during any typical overhaul.  If
nothing else is wrong you can wait until it needs more work.

>  Is there a good fix for this? In the shop when I showed this to people and
> asked for suggestions, they just squirted a drop of lighter fluid under the
> ring which seemed to help for a little while....

Worked for a little while?  Strictly a coincidence.  Now your camera has what is
called in the camera repair business "liquid damage".  The only solution is to
remove the top cover and coat the ASA VR with "conductive grease".  Anyone who
squirts lighter fluid into a camera they are not 100 0.000000amiliar with is an
incompetent fool.

>  (presumably I'd start by taking the film speed dial off and poking around
> under there, but I'm wary of winding up putting it back together with some
> sort of offset in there and never knowing where I really am thereafter..)

The big problem isn't getting things back right -- the big problem is turning a
little problem into an unrepairable one, like blowing the brains out of the CPU
or the Head Amp.