Re: [OM] Aaaargh - I did it...

Subject: Re: [OM] Aaaargh - I did it...
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 00:33:18 -0400
It's easy for me to see how doing this would damage the MD rewind micro-switch follower (the heavy "wire" parallel to the spool) in those OM's that have this feature.

In addition, the film will wind onto the take-up spool around the protruding tab. If the film end protrudes too far, it increases the diamater of the film being wound up around the spool. If its inside diameter increases too much, the film being spooled up on the take-up side can ultimately jam. Risk with 36 exp. rolls is obviously much higher than with 24 exp. rolls which are 2/3 as long.

How I load film in an OM:
1.  Ensure shutter is fired.
2. Insert leader into take-up spool and engage the second sprocket hole along the bottom edge on the take-up spool hook. 3. Wind to cock shutter and pull leader around spool nearly one full revolution. 4. Lay film across film gate (shutter) and drop cannister into the supply side. Ensure sprocket pins engage in film sprocket holes on both top and bottom edges of film. Beginning of top edge sprocket holes should be just past the sprocket. IIRC, the sprocket should engage on of the first three holes along the top edge. 5. Close back and push rewind knob in. *Gently* turn rewind knob clockwise to take up slack. 6. Fire shutter and wind on to next frame. Repeat this until it shows the film on frame #1 in the frame counter window. IIRC, this should require firing the shutter twice and winding three times.

-- John

At 20:46 4/21/03, Clint wrote:

Brian Swale wrote:

> Insert film leader into take-up spool. I have noted the learned comments on
> the need to not poke the leader completely through the spool. I usually DO
> poke it right through and have never had the kind of bad consequence that
> Clint and John have warned about. So - I have noted and wondered what is
> different between me and their experience.

Some folks are just lucky! Though it may depend on how far the film may come out, for example. Still, just to show that we're not making it up, the instructions for the OM-1n and OM-10 and OM-G and so forth all have illustrations showing NOT to do that. It's not in the OM-3, 4 or 4t books that I can find, though, but I've encountered
damage to the MD Rewind switch from that technique.