Re: [OM] PL questions... when to use it..

Subject: Re: [OM] PL questions... when to use it..
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:21:42 -0700 (PDT)
>Without the polarizer, the colors are all washed out.  With
>it, my gf's skin looks like leather..
>How do I win in a situation like that??

The washed-out photos will be a good choice.  The
leather-skinned shots should be binned in a hurry.

This is why fill-in flash is so important.  In high-contrast
situations like that, skin tones need a bit of fill to keep the
background colors from washing out.  You were using a polorizer
to reduce contrast (which is a valid use of the tool), but not
everybody's skin tones will accept it.

By using the polorizer you probably managed to remove the glare
from her skin moisture (sweat) without the filling in
characteristic of make-up.

It also has to do with what film you used.  I find huge
differences in skin tones with my girls between films.  Kodak
gives a nice peaches-and-cream look compared to a washed-out
look from the Fuji films.  (talking consumer print films). The
advantage of the washed out characteristic of the Fuji film is
that outdoors high-contrast shots don't need as much fill
lighting to keep the faces from going dark.

AG