Re: [OM] Zuiko + 10D photos

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko + 10D photos
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 17:38:06 -0700
I don't know what other adapters are out there, but can tell you something about what could be out there. It all hinges on lens mounting flange to film plane distance. OMs are 46mm and the EOS mounts are 44mm, leaving enough distance between the back of a Zuiko and the front of an EOS camera body to fit an adapter and retain infinity focus. Nik*n at 46.5mm and Cont*x/Yashic* at 45.5 don't have this possibility, so any adapter has to have a negative lens at the back of the adapter to achieve infinity focus wih Zuikos. I know nothing about Min*lta mounts, but the AF mount is 44.5mm and MD is 43.5. For this reason of short flange to film distance, the EOS is the most appropriate for adapting other brand lenses.

The weak negative correction lenses in adapters act like weak telextenders, slightly increasing the focal length and decreasing the speed. In a test Herb Keppler did in Pop Photo, the effect on lens performance was small, but noticeable in the tests, perhaps not in use. There are adapters for other brand lenses to Nik*n (and possibly other combos) that use a MC aspheric corrector element, which should further minimize any performance limitations.

Not all adapters will necessarily work with all lenses. I know from personal experience. I bought an adapter for M42/Pent*x to Nik*on which doesn't work with the Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 2.8/50 T I wanted to use. The problem is tha the lens protrudes back far enough from its mounting flange that it hits the back of the adapter before screwing all the way in. It's not a fault with the adapter, as it has to hold a corrector lens behind the main lens without interferring with the mirror, so it can't go any deeper. Just the case that not all lenses can be adapted to all cameras.

Moose

Per Ohstrom wrote:

Are there any other OM-to-something-else converters out there? I think I saw a question about a N*k*n converter but no answer. Are there any for P*nt*x, M*n*lt*, or C*nt*x?