Re: [OM] Hazy 65-200

Subject: Re: [OM] Hazy 65-200
From: "M. Sparks" <mms@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 12:17:04 -0400 (EDT)
> Bottom line:  When it comes to lenses, we'd all be better off
> spending more time looking through them rather than looking in
> them or at them.

That's for sure.  A long time ago I bought a Konica 85/1.8 cheap, because
of many tiny marks on the front glass.  Later I found a "good" one, and
was disappointed to find I couldn't tell which slides were made with which
lens.

I don't think there are any OM goods that should be rejected as a group,
since most of the problems are well-known, and others, like the oily
OM-10, can be fixed easily. Others, like the OM-PC (circuit) or the 75-150
(separation) are either fine or beyond repair.

As one who uses lots of slide film, I've learned not to buy an OM-2/2n
without planning on shelling out also for a CLA.  The top shutter speed
are almost always sluggish, and some are way off, even though the prior
owner has gotten beautiful results with print film.

Morgan