Re: [OM] photographing hummingbirds

Subject: Re: [OM] photographing hummingbirds
From: "John Hudson" <13874@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 20:13:56 -0300
----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, 25 April, 2003 07:11 PM

> An interesting thread to me as I lived for a few years with a woman who
> was a rehabber of sick and injured hummingbirds. From spring to fall, we
> would have tiny and medium cages in the 'bird room', larger cages on the
> deck and a large aviary in the back yard occupied by eveything from
> 'beans', featherless newborns the size of coffee beans, to adults.
> Fascinating creatures, incredibly fierce and independent. Siblings could
> be raised in the same nest, fledge together and share the same cage for
> a few days, then boom - the stronger would start terrorizing the weaker
> and they had to be separated. Legal sidenote: In California, all
> wildlife is legally the property of the State and anyone who has it in
> their possesion, esp. including for medical care, must have a licence or
> work for a licenced facility.

Now does that mean that digging for earth worms and getting caught by the
local cop could get you cited for theft of state property  !

jh

> Photographic content: If I were setting up all this stuff for such an
> expedition, I would take test pictures of a dummy bird to test and
> adjust exposure and lighting angles/coverages and be sure all the
> equipment works properly. Moving the dummy back and forth would also
> give a definitive DOF range with your particular setup and any given
> f-stop. It's a lot better to know exactly how your setup works and how
> to work it smoothly and quickly before using it on live, unpredictable
> subjects. As with all artificial lighting, setup can make the difference
> not only between even and uneven lighting, but between flat and 3-D
> looking lighting. You can't test whether exposure speed is going to stop
> the wing motion, but you can do a lot to get experience with the rig and
> maximize  the chances of good results in the field. Rather than
> speculating whether 1/60 with the setup you are going to use will give
> ghosting, you could try waving a stick rapidly in front of your setup
> and shooting it. A longer stick doesn't have to 'beat' as rapidly as a
> 2" wing to reach the same speed of movement.
>
> Since you don't plan to use TTL flash and are concerned about ghosting,
> you might try an OM2000 for its 1/125 sec. flash sync speed. Of course,
> it has the drawback of not supporting a winder or MD.
>
> Moose
>
> Matt BenDaniel wrote:
>
> >William,
> >
> >Thanks. Your advice is appreciated, and my responses are below. However,
if you read the web page by the world-class expert (Paonessa) referenced in
my original message, you'd understand why I chose my approach. I have also
seen similar advice in a hummer book by a another leading hummer
photographer (Rucker).