Re: [OM] Winder 2

Subject: Re: [OM] Winder 2
From: Ed Senior <newshawk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 01:36:47 -0400
You are correct in all you say, Jeff. I forgot to address the possibility that the screw might extend too far below the quick release plate to allow it to engage the tripod head, but you had the right idea to correct that. I used to use video tripods where the mounting plate was designed to accept either the 1/4" 20 screw or the larger European one. With the size of the cameras we used, the larger screw was desired for security, but I used the smaller screw to help "lock" the camera in place so it wouldn't torque on the QR plate if the camera was panned while holding onto it (as so often happened when the camera was used with the small eye-level viewfinder.)

Ed Senior

Jeff Keller wrote:

I think the suggestion is to remove the screw from the quick release
plate, put the screw through a washer, put screw back through quick
release plate, attach quick release plate to winder (camera, lens, rail,
whatever). The quick release plate will provide the same friction that
it did before the modification. It won't stick as far through the QR
plate.

The screw in my Bogen QR plate is held in place by a C-lock washer that
could probably work just as well with a washer/spacer on the bottom side
of the QR plate. I'm not sure how well the plate would lock into the
tripod head as the "screw" looks like it is already flush with the
bottom of the plate. A washer would make the head stick out below the
plate. Perhaps a head with a lower head could be found but it would
probably be easier to "find" a shorter screw.