Re: [OM] T32 diffuser question

Subject: Re: [OM] T32 diffuser question
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 00:57:58 -0400
At 21:37 4/26/03, Siddiq wrote:

There's gonna be LOTS of family gathered in the house, and i might try turn the formal living room into a quasi studio, the ceiling is low enough for bounce and there is enough lighting in there to give me some control over shadows. however, the hall where the actual engagement takes place I have no idea. the ceiling might be low enough to bounce, but i can't bet on it. and candids can't be bounced either due to quickly changing times/places. so anything that will reduce the harsh flash "deer in headlamp" look is good.

The one potential flaw with ceiling bounce can be shadows on the eyes under the eyebrows. You might want to consider the Sto-Fen Omni-bounce device in small spaces such as your formal living room:
http://www.stofen.com/Info/index.htm

Problem with a T-32 is these devices work best tilted upward at 45-60 degrees. Aimed horizontally, they *will* spill light into the flash sensor. Model specifically for the T-32 is the "OM-T32." However, it works better than pure bounce by puting most of the light into bounce plus a percentage into direct illumination. I've got one that fits my Metz 40 MZ-3i which can tilt upward (about 60 degrees without tilting the sensor) and it works well with low ceilings. Works OK not tilted **if** using TTL-Auto. The work-around with the T-32 in Normal-Auto is puting a piece of opaque material in the bottom part of the Omni-Bounce that shields the sensor. I don't use mine for the Metz that much any more as both Metz units also have a secondary flash tube that will put out about 10-200f the flash power that gives a slight amount of direct while the rest can be pure bounce by tilting the head.

-- John