[OM] Warbird Fly In!

Subject: [OM] Warbird Fly In!
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 16:25:43 -0700

>One plane came in from Orcas Is.  A Yak 52?  Russian-built, piloted by Jack
>Coe.  You may have seen it flying around the San Juans.  Looks rather like a
>slimmed-down T-6:

Yes, I've seen him flying around. Quite a bunch of afficionados here and
some with the bucks to back it up. The guy building the new house up on
the hill above me was out on Friday checking it out from the air in his
Citation (or something like it). There are several old planes I
frequently see but I'm no expert so I couldn't tell you what they are.
I've thought of getting a few pictures when I see something interesting
parked at the airport. Orcas has a popular fly in mid summer sometime.
They get enough together and go flying around in formation. The guy down
the road from me holds the STOL record.  Something like 15 feet! He's
building a new plane now to break his own record. He plans to be
airborne without turning a wheel. I think this competition is in Alaska
somewhere.

My Dad flew B-17's out of England. From a place in Norfolk County next
to the village of Thorpe Abbotts. I have no idea where that is. Maybe
Chris knows it. It was one of those airfields they carved out of the
countryside in England. I believe many are long abandoned. He got to get
into one of the newly restored B17's  when it was in Bellingham recently.

mike