Re: [OM] Warbird Fly In!

Subject: Re: [OM] Warbird Fly In!
From: "John Hudson" <13874@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 22:07:02 -0300
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike" <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, 27 April, 2003 08:25 PM
Subject: [OM] Warbird Fly In!

> >One plane came in from Orcas Is.  A Yak 52?  Russian-built, piloted by
Jack
> >Coe.  You may have seen it flying around the San Juans.  Looks rather
like a
> >slimmed-down T-6:
> >
> Yes, I've seen him flying around. Quite a bunch of afficionados here and
> some with the bucks to back it up. The guy building the new house up on
> the hill above me was out on Friday checking it out from the air in his
> Citation (or something like it). There are several old planes I
> frequently see but I'm no expert so I couldn't tell you what they are.
> I've thought of getting a few pictures when I see something interesting
> parked at the airport. Orcas has a popular fly in mid summer sometime.
> They get enough together and go flying around in formation. The guy down
> the road from me holds the STOL record.  Something like 15 feet! He's
> building a new plane now to break his own record. He plans to be
> airborne without turning a wheel. I think this competition is in Alaska
> somewhere.
>
> My Dad flew B-17's out of England. From a place in Norfolk County next
> to the village of Thorpe Abbotts. I have no idea where that is.

~ 20 miles SSW of Norwich, ~24 miles WSW of Lowestoft [on the Norfolk
coast], ~ 48 miles ENE of Cambridge, and ~82 miles NE of London.

Farming country, flat, a 500 year old pub on every corner, winding country
lanes, expensive country real estate, relaxing, nice people.

My wife's maternal grandfather was the long time Anglican priest in Gresham,
Norfolk ........ a beautful hamlet in the north of the county.

jh

John Hudson