Re: [OM] F280 FP

Subject: Re: [OM] F280 FP
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <markml@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:27:36 -0600
I used an oscilloscope a while ago, and found the same thing. The flash starts at about 10-12 kHz, and then the frequency increases to 18 kHz or so. As you might expect, the brightness of each "flashlet" decreases over time since the capacitor is being discharged, but since the frequency is increasing the overall brightness must remain relatively constant. I don't know if this is from the Oly designers being very clever, or just a happy coincidence of how each flashlet is triggered (or a bit of both). Also, the flash does stop pulsing when the second curtain closes, thereby causing the recycle time to decrease for faster shutter speeds. If there's any interest, I could plot up some of the traces and put them on the web.

Mark

Matt BenDaniel wrote:
Apparently in Super FP mode, the F280 pulses about 10000 Hertz. This implies that the F280 would flash 5 times during a 0.5 millisecond exposure. That does not sound equivalent to continuous lighting. For example, with moving hummingbird wings, this could yield some interesting artifacts.