Re: [OM] [OT] Good software for List members

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Good software for List members
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 08:31:38 -0600
At 10:37 PM 4/28/2003 -0700, "BA" (in reference to MailWasher Pro) wrote:

[snip]

>> and as an added bonus, sends a "bounce" message back to the
>> origin which looks exactly like the standard "This recipient does
>> not exist" message from your ISP's SMTP mailserver. ...
>

>Problem is, it does this by forging email headers.  To which some ISPs
>take serious offense ... as in, they'll yank your account if they
>catch you at it.
>
>I like the idea myself, and I wish ISPs (specifically, mine!) would
>offer it as a service, if they're gonna' object to your doing it
>yourself!

You can turn off the "Bounce" feature for a particular message or globally, if
you have an ISP that objects to it.  I've used various (less convenient) forms
of mail bouncing apps for years, and never had a problem.  Besides, the typical
reason ISPs are against it is because it's *spammers* who are most likely to
forge e-mail headers (with e-mail "stalkers" being a distant second).  One look
at your bounced message and a typical ISP would realize you're doing it to
*fight* spam, not to *send* spam.  (Though I agree -- some ISPs have global
zero-tolerance policies [i.e., they're being intellectually lazy about the
issue], and will treat you no differently than a spammer; best to check with
their Acceptable Use Policies.)

Anyways, I'm off to buy me a copy.  Nice app.  (Elegantly designed, too --
design of the user interface in software apps is what I used to do for a
living, and it always warms the cockles 'o me heart to see a piece of software
with a nicely-designed UI...).

Garth