[OM] OT today in history

Subject: [OM] OT today in history
From: "John Hudson" <13874@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 11:58:46 -0300
This day 100 years ago in the Crowsnest Pass area of south west Alberta, Canada.

"On April 29, 1903, at 4:10 am, 82 million tonnes (30 million cubic metres) of
limestone crashed from the summit of Turtle Mountain and buried a portion of
the sleeping town of Frank. The dimensions of the rock mass that fell are 150
metres (500 feet) deep, 425 metres (1,400 feet) high and one kilometre (3,280
feet) wide. The mechanism of movement that enabled the rockslide-avalanche to
spread over 3 square kilometres (1.2 square miles) of the valley in less than
100 seconds has been the subject of considerable discussion."

More can be read at

http://www.crowsnestpass.com/Tourism/historic/frankslide.html

Perhaps some members of the list have photographs of the area. Unfortunately I
do not even though I have driven through Frank on several occasions.

jh