Re: [OM] This is the first time I have posted questions...

Subject: Re: [OM] This is the first time I have posted questions...
From: Per Ohstrom <poo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:22:56 +0200
Hi Richard,

The compilation of snippets I included at the end, answering your question 5, constitutes really good advice about B&W film and the joys of 'DIY'. Well put, guys!

If you really are going to try the DIY road, which I wholeheartedly recommend, I, as a relative beginner in this game, would like to recommend Tri-X as the easiest film to work with, beside all the other good qualities mentioned here. However, if you like it contrasty and sharp I think Ilford HP5 Plus is a 'must try' as well. It is also very pushable.

One point to remember is to pair the film with a suitable developer. For Tri-X my suggestion is D-76 - a classic combination. For HP5+ I'd like to suggest the not-so-obvious Agfa Rodinal, which is cheap and easy to mix, and the combination gives contrasty, sharp, and gritty pictures.

Of course, if you don't like grain, T-Max 100 developed in T-Max developer may be a better way to go. And, to complicate things a little more, my absolute favourite is Afga APX 100 developed in Rodinal, for its wonderful tonality and sharpness.

It would be interesting to hear more about this topic from other B&W shooters out there. A moderate guess would be that there are at least twice as many recommendations for film/dev combinations as there are photographers.

-poo