Re: [OM] This is the first time I have posted questions.

Subject: Re: [OM] This is the first time I have posted questions.
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 22:29:47 -0700 (PDT)

Then Garth said:
>Ilford Delta 100 or 400, in Ilfotec DD-X, diluted as per
>instructions.  *Awesome* combination.

So I guess that shoots the theory.  Garth and I agree on a
film/developer combination.  Complete with the "how to".  DD-X
mixed 1:4 gives you lovely grain.  Delta 400/DD-X gives the
classic "Tri-X look" without the grain, just by upping the paper
grade 1/2 - 1 step.  If you want the "Tri-X look" on Ilford
HP-5, process it in DD-X 1:9 (I think for 12 minutes, I'll have
to check my chart).  Grain is more old-style.  Delta 400 in DD-X
is very pushable.  I regularily shoot it at ISO 800 and
occasionally at ISO 1600.  Acutance goes up, due to the extended
development, but otherwise the grain stays extremely tight.  If
I'm going low and slow I'll shoot Ilford Pan-F.

I mentioned this in a comment on TOPE 13, but Delta 400 has a
slightly extended sensitivity into Near-IR.  This means that
skin tones will raise slightly with ruddy complexions.  Older
people or those with skin blemishes that tend towards the
reddish will magically clear-up.  I recently did a B&W portrait
session with a lady who had some really aweful looking moles,
freckles and other wierd things on her face.  I stuck an orange
filter on the lens, used Delta 400 pushed to 800 and hoped for
the best.  When I printed out the proofs, her skin was
absolutely clear.  Not a fault to be found.  Those moles were
completely gone.

AG-Schnozz