Re: [OM] OT today in history

Subject: Re: [OM] OT today in history
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 07:56:34 -0700

>I dimly recall reading recently of a similar incident of more recent
>date in Russia that is currently being studied by archaeologists.

Same thing happened in Peru in 1970. Callejon de Huaylas. A major
earthquake shook loose a huge chunk of rock and ice which totally buried
a town. The chunk came from the sunlit side of the the peak in the
center of this photo taken from a neighboring village. I've got some
photos of the slide itself but there really isn't much to see. Only a
couple of trees left. National G. did an article on it at the time with
photos and explanation of course. Also a book out about the disaster.

http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/LatinAmerica/CordilleraBlanca/huaraz.jpg

Mike