Re: [OM] Now Hummingbirds (was F280 FP )

Subject: Re: [OM] Now Hummingbirds (was F280 FP )
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 21:26:46 -0500
Best Hummer spot in the USA I've ever seen is Cave Creek in the Chiricahuas in southern Arizona. This place also has the Elegant Trogon, a truly unforgetable bird. Spectacular birds and spectacular scenery.

Jerry Liles

Moose wrote:

Nice Hummering in the Chiricahuas too. Also that nice old couple in some suburb down there in S. Ariz. (precise enough for you?) who let you hang around in their back yard with all the feeders. In addition to the Blue-throated, Broad-billed, Magnificent, and the other more common varieties I saw elsewhere in SW. Ariz., I saw a Violet-crowned and a Lucifer's in that back yard. The Lucifer's really showed the difference between very good binocs and great ones. That bird never came down to the feeders while we were there, just sat up in a tree against a bright sky, then left. The downward curving beak was clear, but the B&L 8x40 Waterproof Elites actually could pull detail of the 'beard' out of that glare. The other pair only showed a profile.

Moose

Skip Williams wrote:

I'm assuming that you're going to be stalking hummers at feeders, as their speed is far too fast for you to catch them on most wildflowers. The best spots that I know of are at private feeders in California or at concentraion spots in Southern Arizona. In s.AZ, you can get up to 11 different species, which is by far the highest variety north of Mexico. Madera or Ramsey canyon in the Santa Rita's or the Huachuca Mts are likely the best places. They have permanant feeders setup that really bring them in. You can easily see 15-20 at one time on a group of feeders and likely sit within 10 feet and take pictures once they get accustomed to you.