Re: [OM] T32 Flash Duration

Subject: Re: [OM] T32 Flash Duration
From: Matt BenDaniel <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 00:05:47 -0400
Cc: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
At 23:43 30-04-03 -0400, Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu wrote:
>The Shipman book says the shortest burst from a T32 is 1/40,000 = .000025
>
>For EI 100 and f/8, it says the *minimum flash-to-subject distance is .5
>metres*, very nearly your figure.  So, at that distance,
>the flash will quench in the shortest possible time, approx .000025 Seconds.
>That's four zeros.

F8 at 0.5m is equivalent to a guide number of 4, which is 1/8 power, apparently
its minimum. The duration ought to be 25 microseconds.

The T32 also has a manual 1/2 setting. I believe that flash duration is on the
order of 500 microseconds.

The T32 doesn't have a manual 1/4 setting, which I'd bet would be on the order
of 100 microseconds and is exactly what I need. I might be able to fool it by
putting some sort of ND filter over its sensor. My flash meter would confirm
1/4 power.

>.6 meters from a T32 may not be tolerated by the bird!

The bird will hardly notice the T32 or its flash.

--
Matt BenDaniel
matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx