RE: [OM] OT copyright question

Subject: RE: [OM] OT copyright question
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 15:33:52 +0100
You have had quite a variety of views on this Roger, from a variety of
jurisdictions, with  encouragement to resort to the 'gentlemen in wigs'.
Another thought has occurred to me.  If you do go that route, remember that
winning your case might give you a nice warm feeling of "Gotcha!".  It might
also give you a bill.  It will not, of itself, give you any compensation.
You may get 'judgment', but if the defendant is in another jurisdiction,
they may well just ignore it, and you.

We were scalped last year on a holiday rental in Scotland (we live in
England).  I looked at a Small Claims Court action, simple, and to my eyes
it would have been an open-and-shut watertight case.  Except that I can't
take action in an English court with any certainty of enforcing the judgment
in Scotland - for that I would have to take action in a Scots court.  Guess
what - it just ain't worth it.

Write to them, negotiate with them, shame them if need be - but don't spend
money on legal action which will get you a Pyrrhic victory at best.

Piers

OM content - Pyrrhus serves as a model of the potential danger of
uncontrolled Zuikoholism. "Whatever Pyrrhus won, he lost by going on to new
adventures, like a lucky gambler who does not know when to stop.  What he
won by great actions he lost by vain hopes.  Because of his desires for new
conquests, he lost what he had already won."
http://www.e-classics.com/pyrrhus.htm

Today's classical heroes class is now over.