Re: [OM][OT] Copyright Question

Subject: Re: [OM][OT] Copyright Question
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 19:24:48 +0100
Hi all,

Thanks very much indeed for all the excellent advice! It's true as Jim said that a group which can collectively come up with about 15 different ways to clean a mirror may deliver questionable legal advice, but it was good to get a range of opinions on what I should do. I loved Walt's suggested final paragraph, but was in the end more circumspect - I sent them quite a polite e-mail pointing out my copyright notice on the web page, saying they should have asked before using the pic on a commercial website, and asking that they either remove the image or offer payment for it.

Jeff and others suggested trying to benefit from the publicity, and I've done this quite often with other people who want to use my photos, but always with non-commercial operations. As the page under discussion here is a commercial operation I'm not happy for them to be using my image for free when all I get is a link to my web page. I'd rather they didn't use it at all. Could be cutting off my nose to spite my face, but that's how I feel on this one.

No reply as yet, and we'll see what they do. I can't see it getting to the law stage, realistically, seeing as I'm in the UK and they're in the US. If they don't respond agreeably to my polite note I'll have to consider what I can do, but hopefully it'll all be sorted amicably.

It's at least heartening that someone thinks my photos are good enough to steal. We'll see if they reckon they're good enough to pay for as well!

Thanks again everyone,

Roger