[OM] [OT] Copyright stuff - public apology to Walt ! & my first web pag

Subject: [OM] [OT] Copyright stuff - public apology to Walt ! & my first web page !!
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 21:38:25 +0100
Walt, and everyone,

Sorry if I took you too literally Walt - no offence was intended, and if
offence was caused then I apologise.  Trouble was I did almost exactly what
you described (not quite word for word, but the same sentiment was there)
and it ended up causing me more grief than I expected.  I assumed what you
(and a few others) were saying was serious advice, and thought I'd add my
own experiences to the melle (sp ?) of advice Roger has been receiving !!

Anyway, apologies.  Your reply to my message shows the kind of balanced view
of things that I wish I had had the good presence of mind to adopt, before I
embarked on my own "revenge" mission.  Oh well, I lived and I hope I learned
!  All this talk of legal action, etc., just seemed so similar to the kind
of indignation I was feeling when I got screwed by my employer.  I wanted to
do something to show them not to mess with me.  So with all this legal talk
being thrown around I worried that if I had been that foolish back then,
someone else might be "encouraged" by all the "threaten them with
everything" advice and fall into the same trap.

Right, I'll stop there before I dig a bigger hole for myself !  And for what
it's worth, what Roger is doing seems like a good start to me.  If they
still stick 2 fingers up at you, I'm not sure where to go from there.  Would
it be worth trying to blag a free tour from them, or in your well-travelled
status (I am seriously in awe of the amount and quality of travelling you
have done !) would it pale beside your previous excursions ?!!

Peace, friends !

Jon

PS:  On a not totally unrelated subject, I have just finished putting
together a website for a friend of mine who does a spot of Motor Racing on
the side.  Many of the pics on there were taken by me with an OM.  Others by
friends with "other" cameras !!  Soon to be added are images from a "Pro"
photographer who attends a lot of the meetings.  A quick call to him, and he
was perfectly happy so long as they were "low-res" images (well, they are
fairly well compressed JPEG's) and carried a "copyright" note on the image
with his name and the date.  As a mark of respect and gratitude we will be
adding a small "advert" for him under each image he has provided, though he
has not expressly demanded this.  Point being, however, that we would not
have dreamed of using the images he took without his permission, even though
we (well, the driver) actually bought the prints from him.  Anyone remotely
interested can point their browser at www.geocities.com/team_hobbs  - and
remember, this is my first attempt at writing a web page !!  (apologies for
the lurid colour - it matches the car !!)