Re: [OM] "Deasil", was olympus-digest V2 #4025

Subject: Re: [OM] "Deasil", was olympus-digest V2 #4025
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 19:43:15 -0500
At 09:16 PM 5/2/2003 +0100, you wrote:
The Latin-derived languages in South Europe still use descendants of "dexter" and "sinister"; in Italian it's "destro" and "sinistro" I believe; in Spanish "derecho" and "izquierdo" (had to look that one up in the tourist dictionary); and in French "droit" and "gauche". It is interesting (well I think so anyway ;-)) that "gauche" is a word in English to mean awkward or even naive.

Chris

What do they know?  None of them play baseball. ;-)

I was in a castle once somewhere in England where the spiral staircase corkscrewed opposite the usual direction because by heredity the inhabiting family were mostly lefties. I hadn't realized that spiral staircases were defensive constructs, designed for sword-play. Silly me. Very interesting.

You don't happen to know the castle (I think it was a castle), do you? I'm guessing it was in Yorkshire or elsewhere up north.

Joel W.